Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's finally here

Well....I know that it's been a long time since I've written anything and life has been more hectic than ever but I've finally found some time to sit down and write a few things about how life has been and what's going on. So here goes nothing.

I'm finally done with 3 of 5 classes for my program. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I think that school stresses me out more than I realize. I've never enjoyed going to school. It always seems like it's a "must do" instead of a "can do" for me. So I've decided that once I'm done with the Radiology program I will end my schooling for good and say farewell to the halls of learning. I've looking into the different modalities after x-ray and they seem interesting enough, but I'm the type of person that can't stand to sit behind a desk all day, sitting on my butt doing nothing but saying "this next scan will be 2 min." It's just not how I work. I need the patient interaction, the moving around, and the difference. So x-ray it is for me.

I passed both semesters pretty well for me. My fall semester I pulled B's for the most part and the summer semester I got B's to A's. I'm hoping that I can pull all A's the next 2 semesters so I could have a chance of graduating with honors, but I still have a way to go before my GPA gets close enough. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

A few weeks ago my SLCC teacher Dave called me up and offered me a job teaching the RPT (limited x-ray tech.) class with him at the DATC. I couldn't believe that he would actually call me and offer me a teaching job. I guess he sees a lot of potential from me if he is willing to have me help teach people how to do x-rays. So this will be my 3rd job now; Tanner Clinic, Huntsman Cancer Hospital, and now the DATC. I don't know how I'm going to juggle this schedule when I start school next week. I'm guessing that Tanner Clinic will cut back my hours to just the weekends and PRN during the week, but who knows.

While I've been out of school for the past few weeks I've spend a lot of time with Isaac. It's been so much fun and so stressful. He's getting to the point where he knows what he wants, but we can't understand him half the time. It gets so frustrating because if we don't understand he gets angry and starts to whine at us. I thought that I had pretty good patience, but Isaac sure is testing it a lot recently. His favorite thing is the Wiggles. All day long it's the Wiggles. It's the only thing we've found that can actually keep him entertained for more than 30 sec. and I'm about to throw them out the window. I feel like I eat, sleep and drink the Wiggles all day everyday. Just in the last few weeks he's all of a sudden scared of his room. He won't go to sleep in his bed and freaks out if we put him in there if he's still awake. He actually has to be asleep before we can put him in his bed. Danae and I are at our wits end with this. We can't figure it out. We've had to put him in the car and go for a drive sometimes before he will go to sleep. Any tips from anybody would be appreciated.

I've applied to some tuition wavers and scholarships so hopefully I will be finding out about those in the next few days. If I get the scholarship the U of U will be paying for the remaining semesters, books, and my Rad. Tech. testing fee. Then I'm contracted to give them one year of full-time work. I'm hoping that I can get the scholarship, it would be a great opportunity to work for such a large hospital.

Until next time.....

2 comments:

Chelsee said...

When I watched Isaac we watched the Wiggles three and a half times while you guys were gone. I tried to put on the Lion King for him since Kameryn loves it so much, but he didn't like it for very long, so we went back to the Wiggles.

I am sorry things have been tough, but congrats on having three out of five done. You are halfway there. You and Danae always have a way of making the things that you want happen. I am sure if you can tough it out for now things will get better later.

Good luck with your teaching job! That sounds awesome!

Allie said...

You're such a hard-worker, Gary, and I know it's going to pay off for you in the long run, especially because you also have a passion for what you are learning, even if being in school sometimes squelches the passion in all of us. Keep up the good work! I'm really proud of you and Danae, and I look up to you both in a lot of ways. You'll be a great teacher too.
Love you.